After attending the Pittsburgh Business Times breakfast and panel discussion on skills-based volunteering on October 6, we invite you to participate in a Flash Challenge, a half-day skills-based volunteer project.
NOTE: To promote cross-sector collaboration, volunteer opportunities for this event are limited to employees from the business sector.
When is it?
- Thursday, October 6 from 10:30 am – 2:30 pm
- Immediately following PBT breakfast (lunch will be provided)
- Bayer Center for Nonprofit Management, adjacent to the Duquesne Club
- 339 Sixth Avenue, Suite 750, Pittsburgh PA 15222 (inside the Heinz 57 building)
How does a Flash Challenge Work?
- Four pre-selected local nonprofits will be matched with small volunteer teams (i.e. three or four business professionals) prior to the project
- The event begins with a brief background on the nonprofit sector’s role in Pittsburgh, its challenges and opportunities, and training on skills-based volunteerism
- By participating, you will experience a brief version of a comprehensive skills-based project, which usually occurs over 12 weeks
- Your team will brainstorm solutions to a specific pressing challenge for a nonprofit organization, such as
- financial analysis
- program expansion ideas
- wellness program development
- corporate & millennial engagement strategies
- marketing and branding
- You work with your team, including two nonprofit representatives, for approximately 2.5 hours to scope and outline solutions for your organization’s specific challenge
- Each team presents a synopsis to the entire group at a conclusion of the event
What are the benefits of participating?
- Put some of the concepts you learned at the breakfast into action
- Grow and develop competencies for success in your career
- Give back to and engage with the community you call home
- Work with a partner organization and other community-minded corporate volunteers
How do I participate?
STEP 1: Register for the Pittsburgh Business Times breakfast on skills-based volunteering. There is no additional cost to participate in the Flash Challenge
- A confirmation email will be sent by Tuesday, October 4, which will contain participation information and a briefing of your volunteer team’s nonprofit and its challenge.
- Volunteers will complete a post-event evaluation and will be encouraged to take ideas back to their companies for engaging in skills-based volunteering opportunities.